Monday, January 16, 2017

Cloth Doll Artistry Mini Challenge #1

I just finished a mini project for my Facebook doll group...Cloth Doll Artistry 


I decided to use the house template provided to make a needle case for my embroidery needles. I'm not sure where that idea came from but it seemed like a good one.

At first I drew a cottage onto my fabric and coloured it in. Hmm. Leonardo I am not. I was beginning to think that my idea wasn't so great after all.

So I took a look online to get some inspiration. I Googled "pictures of old cottages" and I found a free image of a cottage on The Old Design Shop . It gave me a whole new idea on how to do this challenge.

I printed the image onto Moda cotton using the freezer paper method.   I have never found freezer paper in my grocery store.  They must sell it locally somewhere but so far I haven't had any luck in finding some. I buy my supply from Doll Makers Journey. It comes in a package of fifty letter size sheets.

Sorry the pics aren't very good. I was raining when I took them. I'm not complaining. It's much better than getting tons of snow.
I made an attempt to embellish the image and then gave up. Less is best.


I had a scrap of fabric left over from another project which worked nicely with the colours in the image. Luckily I also had some wool felt in a nice shade of peachy pink that matched as well.

I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

Visit the Cloth Doll Artistry Blog to see what everyone made.......here. 

Take care:)


13 comments:

  1. Great idea! My understandingding is that white freezer is not considered food safe in Canada so has to be bought in US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Ann your little house is awesome! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip on using freezer paper to transfer an image to the fabric. Something I will try this year. This pin case is adorable and useful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, took a second look. I was expecting a box 'house' and thought that you hadn't posted the finished house. Now I get it. I do think you have underestimated your talent. I love the cottage and garden - it's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. More "wonderful" from you. Making the needlecase was a good idea. I'm going to look forward to seeing more of the challenge pieces you do. This is a great idea for a challenge!
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice house project - and even better that it's useful!! As for finding freezer paper - if you have a store in the area that caters to supplies for restaurants and such (here it's 'National Grocers') they should have it. It's usually in the area where they have aluminum foil and plastic wrap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right, sometimes less is more and this is just so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lov the idea of a needle case. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to see you doing your best to keep up with challenges. ;o)) I'm not great at doing them either. The odd one is all I seem to be able to get into. Excited to get started, them the motivation disappears and go on to other things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely design, the case has turned out so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so pretty. And yes sometime less is better. Keep going good. Can you do printing on cotton fabric to make something better than doll?

    ReplyDelete


If you leave a comment and I don't respond it's because I didn't get an email notice. It could be because you are a "no reply" blogger. Here is a way to fix that......http://morefromyourblog.com/no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix-this/